|If they do successfully miniaturize,
I'd start checking out lipstick tubes.
The attention is being focused on Northeast Asia, and stories (see #1 below) of North Korea's possible nuke miniaturization capabilities or its potential for a surprise attack only bolster this impression. Ditto with story #2, about Pyongyang's on-going efforts to earn hard capital through weapons sales to rogue regimes.
- ROK Defense Minister Kim Kwanjin tells National Assembly committee there is "possibility" North Korea has the miniaturization technology to mount a nuclear warhead (AP via WaPo, Reuters)
- Def Min Kim says chance of "surprise provocation" by DPRK is on the rise (Yonhap)
- US Navy says two weeks ago in the South China Sea it forced back a North Korean vessel carrying missile technology bound for Myanmar (CSM, VOA, NYT, AP via WaPo, WSJ, Reuters)
- US sought permission to board vessel but was denied (CNN)
- South Korea announces major push of pay-by-phone services that will include upgrade or installment of 300,000 payment checkouts (Reuters)
- Seoul says its invitation to North Korean leader Kim Jong-il to attend next year's international security summit remains on the table (Yonhap)
- Kim Jong-il meets Chinese Communist Party's organization department chief in Pyongyang (AP via WaPo)
- Special National Assembly committee tasked with reforming South Korean judicial system ceases operations in the face of division and strong opposition from prosecutors (Yonhap)
- Lim Sanggyu, president of Sunchon National University and former Agriculture Minister, found dead in an apparent suicide following reported corruption investigation (AP via WaPo, Yonhap, Korea Times, Joongang Daily)
- President Lee Myungbak calls for calm approach to college tuition issue (Yonhap)
- Orion Group chairman Tam Cheolgon indicted on charges of embezzlement (Yonhap)
- Sweden-based Electrolux renews talks with South Korea's Daewoo Electronics on acquisition of bankrupt appliance maker (Bloomberg)
- North Korean authorities reportedly in panic mode as they try to find out who these giant condoms belong to (Yonhap)